Work at Strathcona
We’re looking forward to welcoming some new staff for the upcoming season. Like everywhere in 2021 with COVID-19, things are a little different here, with a shorter season and less work with educational groups for the spring. What hasn’t changed – it is a wonderful place to live and work because of our community, and because of our access to stellar wilderness.
Our Dream Team is:
- Passionate about outdoor education and connection
- Inspired by SPL’s mission and core values https://strathconaparklodge.com/our-story/values/
- Diverse in skills, education, cultural backgrounds, genders, LGBTQ2S+, and any other equity seeking groups
- Filled with fun, kind, compassionate, hard working, adventure seeking individuals
- Able to thrive in an off grid, environmentally aware, road access wilderness lodge setting
- Clean living in our drug and smoke free property
The majority of our staff live on site in simple accommodation, and pay about $20/day for food and rent, a little less for more rustic accommodation and a little more for more amenities.
Please see below for Job positions/descriptions/dates/wage. Scroll down to see the following positions:
- Programs – Outdoor Education Instructors
- Guest Services – Housekeeping staff
- Food & Beverage – Kitchen Helper, Server
For more information or to apply with cover letter and resume please email email@example.com or call 250 286-3122.
Please note: All job offers are contingent upon a valid work permit, passing a Vulnerable Sector Police Check and the successful completion of all required certifications.
Outdoor Education Instructor
SPL offers quality outdoor education and adventure experiences to people of all ages. Our instructors are generalists who are competent at instructing a range of outdoor pursuits. We are looking for accomplished outdoor educators with extensive technical and facilitation skills, and the passion and compassion to inspire our clients.
Summer programs: WYLD Expeditions for teens, Experiences, including Family Camps, Family Expeditions, and Adventure Unlimited, Custom private guided programs, and Specialized groups. https://strathconaparklodge.com/youth-programs/ & https://strathconaparklodge.com/stay/experiences/
Fall programs: School based, week long adventure programs. Grades 7-12
Activities we offer- High ropes, zip line, tree climb, rock climbing, flatwater canoeing, white water canoeing, sea kayaking, white water kayaking, Hiking, Mtn biking, Nature interpretation, team building.
Waterfront support: each instructor will help to run the boat rentals throughout the summer (canoes, kayaks, SUPs)
Room for creativity: We like to recognize that each instructor comes with their own unique passions, whether it be promoting mindfulness and connection to self and nature, nature interpretation, to teaching about climate change and the importance of carbon. We encourage instructors to bring these passions into their programming where possible.
- Hard working
- Ability to work with all ages
- Flexible and understanding towards change
- Ability to work independently as well as within a team environment
- Ability to handle multiple responsibilities while maintaining awareness around risk management
- Ability to serve both roles as an outdoor educator and/or private guide
- 40hr Wilderness First Aid (mandatory minimum, must be current for the duration of employment)
- CPR C (mandatory minimum, must be current for the duration of employment)
- clear criminal record check
- legally entitled to work in Canada
- 80hr Wilderness First Aid
- Other hard skill based certifications (Sea kayak guide, Rope skills, SRT, etc)
- Ability to instruct in French
- Class 4 licence and clean driver’s abstract
- teaching experience
- extensive personal outdoor experience
Reports to: Chief Instructor
Dates: full time – Sep 13-October 29 2021
Wage: $136-$160 per diem- Determined by education, certifications, and experience
Guest Services Positions
The Housekeepers need a keen eye for detail and like to make things meticulously clean in an environment where guests regularly get wet and muddy from their outdoor play. Housekeepers work independently and as part of a team, making sure that our guest accommodation and public spaces are clean, sanitized, orderly and comfortable.
- Clean and sanitize to the standards set by the Housekeeping Manager
- Work independently or part of a team cleaning public spaces, guest rooms and cabins
- Laundry, sorting, stain removal, folding
- Be physically fit, to meet the demands of the job on our varied, hilly terrain and physically flexible (making beds in tight spaces).
- Be courteous, trustworthy and helpful to our varied clientele
Reports to: Housekeeping Manager
Dates: September- October – Seasonal full time
Food & Beverage Positions
Strathcona Servers are a welcoming and integral part of the experience of our clients while at the lodge.
- Serve our various clients in the Whale Room & Myrna’s where we mainly serve smaller parties, or the Barn or High Bracer for events or banquets.
- Take orders, serve plated food and drinks
- Encourage healthy eating and discuss the day’s adventures with guests
- Have Serve It Right certification.
- Support the Happy Warrior value by jumping into the dish pit or mopping floors if that is needed.
- Stay busy and engaged even during slower times.
Reports to: Front House Supervisor.
Dates: Seasonal full time – September – October
This person is versatile and willing to assist the Chef or Cook with whatever is required, bringing a positive energy into the team and a willingness to be flexible and learn.
- Food prep
- Washing dishes
- Lifting heavy food bins
- Unpacking food orders
- General kitchen cleaning.
Reports to: Food & Beverage Manager (Head Chef)
Dates: Seasonal full time – June to October
For more information or to apply to any of the above positions please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 250 286-3122.